post Jun 27, 2019 - 10:16 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

The benefit of white wheels?

You can spot when something is going wrong. I have no pics right now, but for whatever reason, I"m getting a significant rust buildup on the LR wheel. I need to get it in the air and see what's going on tonight.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jun 27, 2019 - 11:09 AM
+Quote Post
punkxrckprincess

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 31, '11
From Marengo, Illinois
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 27, 2019 - 10:16 AM) *
The benefit of white wheels?

You can spot when something is going wrong. I have no pics right now, but for whatever reason, I"m getting a significant rust buildup on the LR wheel. I need to get it in the air and see what's going on tonight.

kindasad.gif nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo #savewhitey
post Jul 11, 2019 - 7:55 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

So, the wheel issue turned out to be nothing. There are no leaks or an significant wear that I could find.

Unfortunately, I think the cluth took a s**t on me yesterday.

Was on the highway, in 3rd, decelerating for an exit ramp at about 2500rpm, when the revs suddenly dropped back down to idle. Clutched in to try another gear, but the clutch won't engage anymore. The weird thing is, there was no noise, nothing. Just dropped to idle, like I took it out of gear. I can still feel all the gates, and still have good pedal pressure/return, but no go.

Sat on the side of the highway for 3 hours before a truck showed up to bring me home. After that, I didn't even want to look at it. So, I'll start picking it apart tonight to figure it out. I hope it's something simple.

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Jul 11, 2019 - 7:56 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jul 11, 2019 - 8:45 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

damn! 3 hours!! You could've fixed it on the side of the road by then. frown.gif
Hope it's something simple too. Sorry bud.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jul 11, 2019 - 10:02 AM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

No smart a$$ comment comes to mind. But at least you can put the 2 post to use.
post Jul 11, 2019 - 12:56 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The joys of owning older cars... at least it happened somewhere where you could pull over instead of getting stuck in traffic. You’ll have to let me know how much of a nightmare the clutch job is.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jul 11, 2019 - 1:12 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Jul 11, 2019 - 8:45 AM) *
damn! 3 hours!! You could've fixed it on the side of the road by then. frown.gif
Hope it's something simple too. Sorry bud.

I could've had the motor out by then.

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 11, 2019 - 12:56 PM) *
The joys of owning older cars... at least it happened somewhere where you could pull over instead of getting stuck in traffic. You’ll have to let me know how much of a nightmare the clutch job is.

Step 1: Remove Engine.

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Jul 11, 2019 - 1:12 PM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jul 11, 2019 - 3:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Well at least it happened on an exit ramp and not going down the interstate or going up the entrance ramp, so there's that I guess. Still totally sucks, might be the original clutch that just decided to give up on life.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 11, 2019 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Bunch of rust on a wheel can be an early sign of brakes hanging up on that corner, brake dust rusts pretty good on white wheels.

As for the clutch, it said '**** it I'm going back to Japan' and just left lol. Super weird there was no noise or roughness prior, unless something had already been stressed past elastic and into plastic and then just the slightest torque sheared it off like butter.

--------------------
post Jul 12, 2019 - 9:40 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Removed the inspection cover yesterday. Didn't reveal anything except a lightweight flywheel.... No clue why they would put it on the back side of the flywheel, not really useful there.

So, I started pulling the left side of the car apart to get some visibility to the trans:

Untitled by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

Got the starter out to take a look at the pressure plate/clutch, and it looks like it may have just been end of life on the current piece.

Untitled by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

It's just weird because there wasn't any slipping prior to the failure. There was no noise either. I'm still thinking that it was the TO bearing that took a ****.

For the record, the current clutch is a Clutchmasters FX500 6 puck un-sprung unit, that the PO installed.

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Jul 12, 2019 - 9:41 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jul 12, 2019 - 10:56 AM
+Quote Post
CoolZeen

Enthusiast
Joined May 30, '16
From wild 100's, South Chicago
Currently Offline

....and the fun beginngs.
post Jul 12, 2019 - 2:20 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Nothing like changing a clutch on something AWD or 4WD....

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 12, 2019 - 4:01 PM
+Quote Post
bryanf

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 26, '12
From Atlanta
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jul 12, 2019 - 10:40 AM) *
Removed the inspection cover yesterday. Didn't reveal anything except a lightweight flywheel.... No clue why they would put it on the back side of the flywheel, not really useful there.

So, I started pulling the left side of the car apart to get some visibility to the trans:

Got the starter out to take a look at the pressure plate/clutch, and it looks like it may have just been end of life on the current piece.

It's just weird because there wasn't any slipping prior to the failure. There was no noise either. I'm still thinking that it was the TO bearing that took a ****.

For the record, the current clutch is a Clutchmasters FX500 6 puck un-sprung unit, that the PO installed.

Something just doesn't look right about that photo. I wonder if your clutch failed.

--------------------
post Jul 13, 2019 - 10:43 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

What about the unsprung disc as a culprit? I remember someone on here sheared the rivets on their solid disk after a few k of driving in traffic

--------------------
post Jul 13, 2019 - 10:25 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Weren't those Exedy clutch discs that were failing all the time back in the day? Though I think that was springs leaving to go see Jesus.

So what will you replace it with?

--------------------
post Jul 14, 2019 - 12:53 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

Southbend's clutches are Exedy-based clutches. They've gotten good reviews and I enjoy mine in the Supra. Waiting to install the one I have for the Celica.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jul 14, 2019 - 3:20 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Jul 14, 2019 - 12:53 PM) *
Southbend's clutches are Exedy-based clutches. They've gotten good reviews and I enjoy mine in the Supra. Waiting to install the one I have for the Celica.

I was skeptical of south bend but now I wont install anything else. Dead reliable and do indeed use exedy parts. I even paid a visit to their facility and liked what I saw. They're a good bunch of dudes

This post has been edited by enderswift: Jul 14, 2019 - 3:20 PM

--------------------
post Jul 15, 2019 - 7:13 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

That sucks that you were on the side of the highway for three hours... Hope you're able to easily dive into this and the job goes smoothly without breaking any parts.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Jul 15, 2019 - 7:26 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jul 14, 2019 - 3:20 PM) *
QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Jul 14, 2019 - 12:53 PM) *

I was skeptical of south bend but now I wont install anything else. Dead reliable and do indeed use exedy parts. I even paid a visit to their facility and liked what I saw. They're a good bunch of dudes

I was going to ask your input on this. I'll look deeper at Southbend.

Alex: We have an Excedy OEM replacement in the wife's ST165, and we love it. I am much harder on things than she is though, so I need something a little bit tougher than OEM spec.

I really hope I didn't destroy the input shaft.

Thanks Joe. I think I'm still more upset about that, then I am about the car breaking.

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Jul 15, 2019 - 7:28 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jul 15, 2019 - 7:46 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

4th hearing only good things about SB stuff. How long ago was that clutch put in, that bad batch of Exedy was a very long time ago so it's unlikely unless the car's been sitting in storage for like 15 years.

--------------------

13 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 30th, 2024 - 11:53 AM