---
aaRon
post Dec 1, 2007 - 7:34 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

have you guys even looked at the price of new GT-4 brake disks?
theyre REDICULUSLY expensive.
not worth the work IMO.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Dec 1, 2007 - 9:26 AM
+Quote Post
Kadett

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 17, '05
From The Netherlands
Currently Offline

QUOTE(presure2 @ Dec 1, 2007 - 1:34 PM) [snapback]618736[/snapback]

not worth the work IMO.

Have you ever driven or ride along with someone who has them on a ST/GT? Guess not, I did with SveNRG (AT200 3rd gen swap+ SS+GT4 front brakes). Its a MASSIVE improvement over stock.

Its the closest thing you can get as a 'Big Brake Kit'. If you already have the calipers then I would say go for the install and get the rotors.

But I dont know what you would call expensive. They cost around 150 euro per side. Dont think its that expensive.

--------------------
JDM Powerplant installed, BPU coming very soon!

IPB Image
post Dec 1, 2007 - 10:49 AM
+Quote Post
doGGy

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 28, '02
From Europe, Lithuania
Currently Offline

QUOTE(presure2 @ Dec 1, 2007 - 5:34 AM) [snapback]618736[/snapback]

not worth the work IMO.

Time from time GT4 calipers pop up on ebay for somthing like 400$. I eben saw whole setup go for 500$, you just have to keep and eye on the Ebay wink.gif

GT4 brakes in compare with normal ST / GT / SS3 brakes - are like a day / night difference.

--------------------
Ex celica owner - just a guy from other side of the pond...
Full custom Projects from restoration to performance builds
<<<<<< DCw / JDMart >>>>>>>
post Dec 1, 2007 - 10:52 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Kadett @ Dec 1, 2007 - 10:26 AM) [snapback]618742[/snapback]

QUOTE(presure2 @ Dec 1, 2007 - 1:34 PM) [snapback]618736[/snapback]

not worth the work IMO.

Have you ever driven or ride along with someone who has them on a ST/GT? Guess not, I did with SveNRG (AT200 3rd gen swap+ SS+GT4 front brakes). Its a MASSIVE improvement over stock.

Its the closest thing you can get as a 'Big Brake Kit'. If you already have the calipers then I would say go for the install and get the rotors.

But I dont know what you would call expensive. They cost around 150 euro per side. Dont think its that expensive.

150 euro may be cheap for you, but that = 220USD for us over here.
440$ for 2 brake disks is rediculously expensive as i said, and that dont include shipping.
wink.gif
an improvment im sure, but for us here in the USA, i dont see it as cost effective.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Dec 1, 2007 - 11:35 AM
+Quote Post
Kadett

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 17, '05
From The Netherlands
Currently Offline

Hey Manny,

Just remember this the next time you fill up your gas tank. US = 40 USD vs Europe = 120 USD laugh.gif

Yeah you maybe have to pay some more for JDM/Euro parts but hey, your not driving fuel @ 50 cents per mile.

--------------------

IPB Image
post Dec 1, 2007 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
lubu

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 2, '07
From Great Western Plateau
Currently Offline

Just got a complete set of rotors and calipers for all 4 wheels..IMO i think its a must upgrade for any 3s swapper. Shorter braking distance means better chance of preventing a crash.

--------------------

98% completion
---
aaRon
post Dec 1, 2007 - 1:58 PM
+Quote Post
Kadett

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 17, '05
From The Netherlands
Currently Offline

Are you planning on a Hydraulic hand/E brake?? Would be interesting to see!

--------------------

IPB Image
post Dec 2, 2007 - 1:18 PM
+Quote Post
lubu

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 2, '07
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Kadett @ Dec 2, 2007 - 3:58 AM) [snapback]618793[/snapback]

Are you planning on a Hydraulic hand/E brake?? Would be interesting to see!

Like this: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...p;pcode=MSD402A

Maybe sometimes down the road...On a side note, with hydraulic handbrake dont you lose pressure if its parked for more than a few hours?

--------------------

98% completion
---
aaRon
post Dec 3, 2007 - 8:35 PM
+Quote Post
Kwanza26

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 27, '03
From Nor Cal
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Kadett @ Dec 1, 2007 - 2:26 PM) [snapback]618742[/snapback]

Unless you race the car everyday... it's really just a VISUAL modification. Who cares if the car has awesome brakes when all you use it for is stop/go traffic and driving around town? I bet I'll stop the same as you in traffic from 50mph to 20mph...

--------------------
"It's ok to be naked girl... I'm an artist!"

1995 AT200 Celica ST: stocked out daily driver...

1984 AE86 Corolla GT-SR5: silvertop 20V 4AGE project car jacked up with goodies...

1991 SW2x MR2 n/a: bare bones hardtop model soon to be...
post Dec 5, 2007 - 2:43 PM
+Quote Post
Silver94CelicaOw...

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 13, '02
From Blairstown, New Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Kwanza26 @ Dec 3, 2007 - 6:35 PM) [snapback]619381[/snapback]

QUOTE(Kadett @ Dec 1, 2007 - 2:26 PM) [snapback]618742[/snapback]

Unless you race the car everyday... it's really just a VISUAL modification. Who cares if the car has awesome brakes when all you use it for is stop/go traffic and driving around town? I bet I'll stop the same as you in traffic from 50mph to 20mph...

I think thats generalizing things quite a bit, Kwanza. I don't think that too many of us with swaps or turbo just putt around town like a grandma. tongue.gif At least I don't anyway.

With my 3rd gen 3SGTE, as well as any Celica with a significant power upgrade , you can feel that the brakes are at the threshold of their effectiveness. I have IRotors D/S on all four corners with Hawk autocross compound brake pads, and they still just BARELY cut it as far as I'm concerned.

If you look at the balance of a swapped USDM Celica compared to a factory tuned configuration like a STi or Evo, the Celica needs a great suspension tune, sticky tires, and more powerful brakes to have the same sort of balance that those cars achieve. With comparable thrust to both, a swapped Celica just won't stop like it should when it only has single-piston calipers from the factory.

It awesome to see some answers regarding using the ST205 brakes....thats really good knowledge for anybody who wants to make their car really stop well.

--------------------

3rd gen ST205 3SGTE - Alive and boosting.
post Dec 5, 2007 - 3:03 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Evo and STi are also significantly heavier

Celica = 2,580 lbs. curb weight
STi = 3,263lbs
evo = 3,263lbs

thus an added reason for bigger brakes + the image of the car and product partnership.

D/S rotors have proven to not be the best combination for performance.
Just slotted will give better performance IMO, more braking surface, sufficient venting.

a big brake upgrade won't prove anything on the street...its been proven. You just won't get the temperatures required to make it an effective setup.

Braided lines, Quality slotted rotors, good fluid (motul/ATE), good (hawk HPS, ferodo DS) and a set of good tires will get you more than sufficient road braking power.

most of all completely flushing brake fluid frequently (1 time a year, 2 years max) is something 99% of people over look when doing their braking system.

as well as with these older cars ensuring your master cylinder is in good condition i essential.

my opinions rest with Kwanza on this

This post has been edited by playr158: Dec 5, 2007 - 3:04 PM
post Dec 5, 2007 - 4:01 PM
+Quote Post
Kadett

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 17, '05
From The Netherlands
Currently Offline

Why would I need to race my car everyday to fit a bigger/stronger brakes? Indeed in normal (city) traffic on normal speeds the effect would be minimal. But I intend to go to the Ring next year and want to go to Circuit Zandvoort or TT Assen a few times a year. Maybe I will go on the track or not. But its a reassurance that you have enough stopping power and not having faded brakes after 1 lap.

And common, normal street driving. NOBODY who swaps there engine does it to drive at the 60-70mph mark. Everyone wants to try out the power and when you need to stop it would be good to have uprated brakes.

Still about the ST205 brakes, I have not fitted them on don't intend to do so untill I find a good company to make them fit. I dont trust my own life in my own (fabricated) hands when it comes to making caliper brackets laugh.gif smile.gif

--------------------

IPB Image
post Dec 5, 2007 - 4:07 PM
+Quote Post
Silver94CelicaOw...

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 13, '02
From Blairstown, New Jersey
Currently Offline

From my experiences, upgrading to a MUCH more capable set of brakes like the ST205 OEM setup couldn't be a bad thing at all. Single piston brakes simply don't stop you nearly as quick as a 4-piston when it counts, regardless of what brands you throw at them.

For street purposes, sure.....stock GT brakes with a stock 3S swap may suit you. But if you plan on pushing a Celica at all when its paired up with a powerful engine and great suspension, the weakest link in the setup with be the single pot OEM brakes and the limited surface area of the smaller rotors. My personal interests with my setup is for a daily-driven, fully track capable car with as few weaknesses as physically possible....not strictly grocery-getter status in which stock brakes would suit me just fine.

The STi and EVO are great examples of this type of configuration - a track ready car that excels in every aspect of performance, but still very streetable and reliable. They push more weight than a Celica, but the functionality of their brake setups, as well as the GT-Four's, for the purpose they were designed for is undeniable.

Slapping a grossly oversized brake kit for "bling" factor isn't what I'm endorsing. I'm endorsing the idea of using ST205 brake components to make a Celica stop the way it should when all other aspects of performance have been drasticly improved.

My opinions rest with myself (EDIT- and Kadett) on this one. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Silver94CelicaOwner: Dec 5, 2007 - 4:08 PM

--------------------

3rd gen ST205 3SGTE - Alive and boosting.
post Dec 5, 2007 - 6:27 PM
+Quote Post
lubu

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 2, '07
Currently Offline

The 205 brakes do make a noticable different in stopping distance....even for street driving!! I drove my friend's car (205) and my swapped car and I can deff feel the different in the 205 brakes, you dont need to push the pedal as hard to stop. When I slammed the pedal the car literally "froze" (edit:testing was done at 60-100km, dry road with stock "brakes") .

I dont drive like grannies and certainly I dont intend to to the swap and tune the hell out of it just to cruise around at 60km. My daily driving to uni already required me to do 100km -120km so these brakes will help incase of a sudden stop.

It is deff not a "VISUAL modification". I just dont have cash just laying around to slap on these babies knowing they do jack-all for me, if that was the case Id rather buy one of those covers from eBay that cost 5 bucks.

People who think 204 brakes=205 brakes for any purpose then well..think again. The gain is not that awe-inpiring but its there, and gets better if you get slotted rotors, endless SS pads....etc.

This post has been edited by lubu: Dec 6, 2007 - 3:18 AM

--------------------

98% completion
---
aaRon
post Dec 6, 2007 - 4:12 AM
+Quote Post
lubu

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 2, '07
Currently Offline

One thurday noon with alot of unleaded fuel, brushes and spare time..
Pads seem to be near new, Tokico anyone???

I noticed one of the rubber that surrounds the piston is ripped, does anyone knows the part # for it??
....BTW try to avoid pull the rubber out, getting the snap-ring back around the piston is f**king ducking hard...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

98% completion
---
aaRon
post Dec 6, 2007 - 11:20 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

you shouldn't be using gas to clean or anywhere near a brake caliper....it eats all those seals laugh.gif
post Dec 6, 2007 - 11:33 AM
+Quote Post
OOBE

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 30, '02
From San Juan, PR
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Silver94CelicaOwner @ Dec 5, 2007 - 1:43 PM) [snapback]619944[/snapback]

I don't think that too many of us with swaps or turbo just putt around town like a grandma. tongue.gif At least I don't anyway.

With my 3rd gen 3SGTE, as well as any Celica with a significant power upgrade , you can feel that the

That made me laugh. I imagined one of those cars from Looney Tunes. laugh.gif

--------------------
Past - 7A-FTE: Will never forget you
Present - 3rd Gen 3S-GTE: Swap in progress
QUOTE (SinisterSinner @ Dec 19, 2009 - 10:52 AM) *
I dont want to even think of turbos, they blow up way too often...
post Dec 7, 2007 - 6:07 AM
+Quote Post
BloodyStupidDave...

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 14, '06
From Northampton, UK
Currently Offline

I've been following this thread with interest. I find that while the brakes on my 6gc are good - I can come to a stop very quickly, I do rather have to stamp on them to make that happen. From what others have said, it sounds like the GT4 factory brakes offer a sharper, more positive feel.

Given that the GT4 is more powerful, but not hugely more powerful, than the GT with 3SGE engine, one would assume that the GT4 brakes on a GT with 3SGE would be a fairly good match (that is, getting the brakes up to temperature would be similar between the two). However, due to the differing suspensions, a straight swap is difficult. So to extrapolate, it would seem that any brakes that are close in specification to the GT4 brakes but are a more straight-forward fit would benefit the GT with 3SGE engine.

Now I know that a lot of people don't have 3SGE engines, but just bear with me for the moment as I don't want to complicate things too early.

So my questions are: are there any flaws in my logic; and if I wanted to upgrade my brakes to something close to the factory GT4 specification but choosing aftermarket parts that are more of a straightforward install than the actual GT4 parts - what are my options?

--------------------
post Dec 7, 2007 - 6:44 AM
+Quote Post
lubu

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 2, '07
Currently Offline

QUOTE(BloodyStupidDavey @ Dec 7, 2007 - 8:07 PM) [snapback]620530[/snapback]

I find that while the brakes on my 6gc are good - I can come to a stop very quickly, I do rather have to stamp on them to make that happen.

Im asumming you mean "cant"??

With any other brake kits I would think that you'll run into problems like mounting, offsets...etc..etc.

But dont you wanna keep it all Toyota, more importantly celica?

--------------------

98% completion
---
aaRon

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 7th, 2024 - 9:32 PM