> RHD BEAMS Progression/Build Thread, Finally Getting to Finish
post Mar 17, 2013 - 6:59 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Def fuel related. The longer I drive it, the " better" it gets. The seafoam and Marvell mystery oil seem to be working. New fuel pick up filter, newffuel filter, new plugs was still running like Crap. That leaves the old fuel pump, bought a new one, but im gonna see if this one improves out of curiosity

--------------------
post Mar 22, 2013 - 8:26 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Oooookk.
So I was wrong. it wasn't fuel related.
In other news I now have a new fuel filter for a 7afe (fit the beams bracket perfect), and a new fuel pick up screen on the same old 190k mile fuel pump. Strangely, I felt more comfortable with an old oem fuel pump, than a brand new autozone replacement that I ALMOST put in the tank to try.

So long story is that I went out to the shop where my racecar beams resides, pulled off two of the COP's from on top of the spark plugs, came back to the house, changed out cylinder one with no difference in how it ran. Changed out Cyl #2 and it purred like a kitten. Put the old one back in, back to sucking. So I found the source. Now I'm down a COP for the race car.

But have no fear!! the 1zzfe is here to provide me with a replacement coil that is EXACTLY the same in every way. WROOONNGGG! apparently the dwell time and/or the wiring is a bit different. Some threads online were saying the Altezza RS had the one coil that was different from all other Toyota coils, potentially in the same family as this beams coil. In either case, I purchased an $87 1zz coil and it didn't work.... not even close.

So I found 4 on ebay and bought them tonight. But it now pulls HARD clear to redline.... still exhaustless.

Now to figure out these power folding mirrors. Killin me frown.gif Anyone got any help on those?

This post has been edited by ricochet1490: Mar 22, 2013 - 8:26 PM

--------------------
post Apr 4, 2013 - 4:17 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Found out if I want toi use mjy 7 wire power fold mirrors I have to use the relay. I might be on the market for some 5 wire ones because I wouldn't have to do any additional wiring and I already have a working switch for that. As it turns out, my relay style switch was toast on arrival. Just more motivation to go the 5 wire route.

--------------------
post Apr 5, 2013 - 12:22 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

oh lawdy, go full jdm.....

ok do you know anyone with the 5 wires. because you might get awy with it with the 7 wires

2 wires retract the mirrors

2 wires set it back in place.

but if i recall correctly 2 of them are just grounds connected together.

so the other 2 are the polarity ones. so if u use the other two, and just invert polarity it may just work. or not.

if would be good to see the internals of a 5 wires mirror. in theory it might just work...

because all it is is just a little motor inside that shut down when the contact stops...

too bad this pic came too blurry....

oh, and the button for the relay, u dont need a jdm switch, u can have a push type button and make it work. The relays just need a +12v current for one second to be activated back and forth, thats what the pink wire does... just feeds that 12 volt current...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 5, 2013 - 8:43 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

The whole switch is toast tho. Not even any mirror movement.

I tried to make it work 5 wire style, but I don't think it's possible.

--------------------
post Apr 6, 2013 - 1:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

did u just plug the switch, do u have rhd door harness. or lhd. because u have to invert the wires to use the switch u just cant plug it in

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 6, 2013 - 8:12 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

You need the other switch for the 5 wire setup, it has R516 on the back. It basically has a built in relay instead of the external and the wiring is a bit different.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Apr 6, 2013 - 8:12 AM
post Apr 6, 2013 - 8:33 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Apr 6, 2013 - 9:12 AM) *
You need the other switch for the 5 wire setup, it has R516 on the back. It basically has a built in relay instead of the external and the wiring is a bit different.

I have EVERYTHING FOR BOTH MIRROR STYLES EXCEPT A SET OF 5 WIRE MIRRORS! lol . I have rhd door harnesses, I know the switch is bad f for the 7 wire / relay required mirrors because I hooked up my Lhd switch to yhe same pigtail and got mirror function, I hooked up my 5 wire r516 switch to the 5 wire pigtail I have and could adjust mirrors. I have ruled that out. I will either need to buy a 7 wire switch again,b and make a partially custom harness, or bite the bullet and buy 5 wire mirrors. Those are my only options because of my 96+ dash harness and 9495 door harnesses .....
Thanks for the ideas though guys.

--------------------
post Apr 8, 2013 - 10:31 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

--------------------
post Apr 8, 2013 - 10:35 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Apr 8, 2013 - 10:31 PM) *

Best cup holder ever in a 6th gen! Way better placement than that crappy stock thing.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 9, 2013 - 11:17 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Sick seats

--------------------
post Apr 9, 2013 - 12:51 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Apr 9, 2013 - 11:17 AM) *
Sick seats

Thank you.

And Dan, LOL maybe I'll keep it then!

--------------------
post Apr 9, 2013 - 1:05 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Man jealous of those seats!
post Apr 9, 2013 - 8:03 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (rave2n @ Apr 9, 2013 - 1:05 PM) *
Man jealous of those seats!

I'm jealous of the whole car!!

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post May 11, 2013 - 7:33 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Finally just bought the bullet and bought the 5 wire mirrors. I just didn't want to have "custom" wires running all over the car for the 7 wire mirrors to work. This is much more OEM ish for the year of the car.

Evidence video (sorry for you guys on cell phones)

Now that those are taken care of, two speakers in the front doors, the door cards and the front end will be wrapped up. Just have to finish out the trunk plastic.

Exhaust appointment coming tomorrow if work will let me out. I think I'm going to keep the factory cat.... Thoughts?

--------------------
post May 11, 2013 - 8:15 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

No way.
You'll be holding power back that you should have.
You put so much work and effort into the swap and not having the Beams to it's potential is wrong. You drive my Beams without a cat and you'll regret having a cat in yours.
Ask Daniel about his exhaust thoughts.

--------------------
post May 11, 2013 - 9:01 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

^^^ What he said. After resetting the ECU, it became a totally different engine. You hear about the 5S and various other engines "intake and exhaust to let it breathe" but the BEAMS is different. It NEEDS to breathe. I tremendously underestimated that necessity, thinking it would make no more difference than it would on a 5S. Nope, the BEAMS head is way more awesome. The way I see it, a brand new high flow cat is cheap, and your old one is worth some dough at a scrap yard. Now's the best time to replace it.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post May 12, 2013 - 11:41 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

If you really want a cat you should buy a magnaflow spuncat. They have a round interior with roughly a 300 cell design. Flows great and not very expensive from summit racing.

--------------------
post May 14, 2013 - 10:09 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Monday afternoon. 1 glass pak resonator and cat, sounds angry. Whew.
In other news, I also have the interior getting back together and I drove it to work today.

Slight "grinding" noise coming from belt side of motor. Loud enough to be heard over motor. Have plans to replace timing belt anyway, but a failed bearing at that mileage just isn't likely. Can't tell if it's from timing belt, or serpentine.

--------------------
post May 16, 2013 - 3:28 AM
+Quote Post
zoocsijr

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 26, '12
From Hungary
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Apr 8, 2013 - 11:31 PM) *

I'm in love with those Recaros biggrin.gif

--------------------

19 Pages V  « < 15 16 17 18 19 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 19th, 2024 - 6:42 AM