> RHD BEAMS Progression/Build Thread, Finally Getting to Finish
post Jan 16, 2012 - 2:01 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

^LOL - nice dan. I'm looking to do both at the same time. With any luck I'll finish my BSME this spring as long as I don't have any class conflicts. Once done, it'll be job searching and celica building 24/7.... and you know how job searching goes lol

--------------------
post Feb 3, 2012 - 5:27 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Does anyone know off hand if the spring rates are different between st205 factory superstrut and st202 factory superstrut?

--------------------
post Feb 3, 2012 - 5:40 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Nov 6, 2011 - 11:16 PM) *
Picked up the clip today in cincinatti....

So now this progression will become a reality as soon as finals are over.
Shout out to Richee3 for the CLEAN shell at a great price with all the right parts.
Shout out to FORGMANN for the CLEAN clip at a great price complete with extra parts.
Shout out to BOTH of those guys for a ton of support, parts, and kindness. You've made this a reality for me.

This will not be halfazzed. It will retain U.S. VIN# for ease in registration and liscensing. Firewall swap over for RHD. Every part from the clip will be used with the exception of the control arms and various other parts that I will need to retain USDM suspension. Even though there are some good prices on Superstrut on the forums now.... not knowing what that means for my usdm rear end in the car and what it means for replacement parts.... I will retain all usdm suspension and brakes. The exception is the JDM anti-ock brake system. Auto climate control will also be installed.

Items I will need if anyone has these at a good price lol.... i'm not in a hurry because they are cosmetic but before I drive it I'll have to have it... but just keep it in mind smile.gif haha
1) set of jdm tails
2) ssiii riser blocks and accompanying spoiler
3) ssiii body parts. splitters etc.
4) set of 17" wheels

Keep me in mind guys!! lol

On a more serious note - here is the plan of action:
1) finish finals, week of Thanksgiving (Nov 2_th)
2) weekend after deer season begin tear down of shell, complete gutting, interior, carpet, dash, everything (complete by end of first weekend in december)
3) firewall of shell cut out either that weekend or shortly thereafter. Saving all cables for trunk pop/gas etc. - setting aside all usdm parts for later install into my DD, sale on 6gc, give back to Richee3 because of all of his previous kindness.
4) drop motor from clip out of the bottom ( I have a forklift etc.) and begin clip tear down (noting and saving all bolts and wiring locations) Drop motor by christmas.... have clip torn down and parts organized by Jan 15 2012
**Classes start back up and progress will drastically slow so I need to do as MUCH as I possibly can before Jan 3. **
5) reweld clip firewall into shell and begin running chassis wiring. Have wiring run and dash parts more or less installed by Feb7 (my birthday)
6) install interior with EXTRA sound deadening everywhere with legit RHD center console ( from FORGMANN, he's the man) Complete by Feb 22
7) Install engine bay parts and tie up odds and ends like wiper bulkhead. Matching spray paint color to car - paint firewall- Complete by March 12.
8)Install engine subframe into shell by installing from bottom. Hello forklift smile.gif - Hook up all engine electronics/fluids/fuel etc - Complete and have running by March 26 (end of spring break)
9) Install exterior parts/pieces tails, jdm fenders, bumpers etc. - finish by april 15
10) bleed brakes - bolt on wheels - drive to buereau of motor vehicles and get registered and liscensed - May 5th
11) Run the piss out of the car for a weekend, park it and begin all remaining body work that MIGHT need to be done if I haven't gotten to it yet. - Send to paint and have painted the color she was.... sleight blue gray.
12 Project complete for my College graduation.. Present to myself.

HERE WE GO!!

So are you keeping pretty close to your schedule? Also, your upcoming birthday has been noted.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 3, 2012 - 5:48 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I'm close. I've done things like run the chassis wiring harness, but still don't have the clip totally tore down. Heater core left (happening tonight). I'll then start dismantling the beams from the bay... brakes, fuel lines, etc and then it'll be a matter of dropping the subframe. So I'm looking, for tonight, to get the heater core out, the radiator out, the remaining front wiring of the clip out, and hopefully that wiring repulled through the shell while it's fresh in my head, and the pedals that are still on the clip.

I've been lazy the first few weekends of the quarter and wasn't as productive as I'd like to be. But when you're the only person turning a wrench, it's tiring sometimes frown.gif

But I can now see the light thumbsup.gif

EDIT:
Dan - Thanks for noticing about my birthday.... How thoughtful of you. I mean I would expect us to be that close though because we've shared a celica.... are we bound somehow for eternity now?! haha - Like two guys who've hit the same "piece" lol jk

This post has been edited by ricochet1490: Feb 3, 2012 - 5:56 PM

--------------------
post Feb 3, 2012 - 6:05 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I love 6gc and it's members smile.gif Friday night? Drinking, date night, movies? Nah, we'll wrench on the car instead!

Just saw your edit. I refuse to crack a joke about sloppy seconds... Though it is tempting.

This post has been edited by richee3: Feb 3, 2012 - 6:07 PM

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 4, 2012 - 12:57 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Well, got most of what I wanted to get done, done.
began by draining out the fluids..... who knew JDM engine coolant was BLOOD red??

Allowed me to finish gutting the firewall, pulled the wiring through to the fenders

Took out the rest of the airbox, took out the radiator, continued pulling wiring harnesses....

hmmm - 4 hours and that was all I got done. Oh well

This post has been edited by ricochet1490: Feb 4, 2012 - 12:58 AM

--------------------
post Feb 8, 2012 - 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

gt-4 strut bar received. Found some Super Strut parts.

So does nobody have any information on whether or not the 202 and 205 spring rates are the same? Or whether it would even make any difference?

--------------------
post Feb 8, 2012 - 7:44 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (pgiorgio @ Jan 28, 2012 - 9:36 AM) *
Bought a red top BEAMS engine that came with superstrut suspension and brakes. Don't think I'm going to install on my car. Any interest in buying the package? It's located in Portland Oregon.

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Feb 8, 2012 - 12:59 PM) *
gt-4 strut bar received. Found some Super Strut parts.

So does nobody have any information on whether or not the 202 and 205 spring rates are the same? Or whether it would even make any difference?

he sold em to you, didnt you, right??! cwm13.gif

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 8, 2012 - 8:38 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I haven't gotten any pics yet. I would like to find both suspension and brakes as a set up yes. But I might have a set of superstruts from a 205 lined up for about 50$ shipped. Given that, at that price it's worth me asking if there is a difference in spring rates. because that might be worth my while.

You have a mcphearson set up don't you?

--------------------
post Feb 9, 2012 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

well I sent him a message and then another pm, but he still hasn't replied.

ST205 part # : 48131-2T110
ST202 part # : 48131-2T050

of course, logically their is a difference in part #'s due to the extra 40 pounds from the transmissions, overall curb weight and AWD.

yes I have mcpherson. I only need the ss-III calipers and hub. I'm looking to get sale/trade my current 55,000 mile gt4 front brake calipers with rotors very soon.

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Feb 9, 2012 - 12:26 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 26, 2012 - 2:46 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

EPIC EBAY WIN!! - at least 20-30$ cheaper than any others I'd seen. Been really busy with classes, so I buy parts, should have a lot more parts in about 6 weeks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360435312156?ssPag...984.m1439.l2649

--------------------
post Feb 26, 2012 - 5:12 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I'll trade you a pair of side skirts for them tongue.gif Just kidding. Seriously though, great find!

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 1, 2012 - 12:07 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

motor coming out of clip tomorrow!

With any luck lol.

--------------------
post Apr 1, 2012 - 12:11 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Sweet!!!!!
Cant wait till this in person
Gotta let me set in the drivers seat once tongue.gif
dont wanna drive it just gotta see how weird rhd feels

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Apr 1, 2012 - 11:42 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Pictures or it never happened!

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 1, 2012 - 6:37 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

i had a video of the removal.... about 45 seconds to get the whole motor out... but the dang file is corrupt!!! ahhh.... pics to come

--------------------
post Apr 1, 2012 - 8:02 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Sorry for the crappy phone pictures...... hopefully I can fix the video.... but here's all I took before leaving the shop

--------------------
post Apr 1, 2012 - 8:13 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Sweet!!!!

--------------------
n
post Apr 1, 2012 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

The video file was corrupted.... don't know how or why..... but this is all I could get out of it tonight.....

The idea here was to show how easy motor removal is via subframe. I had narration in the video, but the audio has seemingly been lost. So in summary, everything is unhooked from the engine bay just like you'd have to do otherwise. The side motor mounts have been removed, and the front and rear mounts have been left in place. The 10 subframe bolts that hold the subframe to the chassis were removed and in this case a fork truck/ or an engine lift will also work, was used to life the body from the motor...... No chain link garbage, no having to fight the dang axles, or removing the front and rear motor mounts, I really think it's about 1/2 the work for the simple fact that you don't have to screw with the axles and the two other motor mounts. You should still be able to gather from this video about how fast the two became separated.

http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff473/...ymotortrial.mp4

--------------------
post Apr 1, 2012 - 11:41 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Stupid phone wont let me watch it frown.gif

--------------------
n

19 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 28th, 2024 - 3:23 PM