> what brand intake is best? ebay or no
post Feb 8, 2007 - 11:03 PM
+Quote Post
jurrassicmonkey

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 4, '07
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Hey everyone well i got this celica with the stock intake box. and the hose is duct taped. i was trying to find that part online and kept finding new air intakes, short ram, and cold air ones. would it make sense to just install one of those and get rid of my old box. would gettin one on ebay be a good idea. or are those soo cheap that it would hurt my engine. heres a link to what i was talking about, i'm sure everyone has seen those many times.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-94-95...088162950QQrdZ1

well i figure getting a stock hose would be cheapest, but spending 50 and gettin something that will be better, is something i would consider. thanks everyone.
post Feb 8, 2007 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
netrata

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 16, '06
From Maui, Hawaii
Currently Offline

That should be fine as an aftermarket intake, just as long as the air filter is a K&N, Apexi, Blitz, or other name brand aftermarket air filter (generic intakes will not do what aftermarket brand filters are meant to do). From the link I looked at, that's a ram air intake system. If you care about looks, then get that. But if not, then just replace the air box and clamp on a aftermarket cone filter to the factory intake hose since it does the same thing, and you might need to make a hole and put a grommet on it for you IAT sensor. IMO if your are going to buy an intake like that, then you should look into getting the their cold air intake system since supposedly it's already pre-fitted to mount your filter near the bottom part of the engine by the front bumper. The kits should already come with all the clamps, hole for the IAT sensor, rubber couplings, and a cone filter. Again if it's a generic filter, then get a good aftermarket filter. And if possible, get an AEM air bypass valve/filter for your cold air intake system. Here's a link for the cold air intake system for the celica:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CF-90-94-95...emZ230087240396

This post has been edited by netrata: Feb 8, 2007 - 11:20 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
post Feb 8, 2007 - 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
j0e_p3t

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '05
From torrance/carson, ca
Currently Offline

do this... click

--------------------
IPB Image
ss-iii splitters and 404 skirts are on. which means i need to update my sig.
post Feb 9, 2007 - 12:49 AM
+Quote Post
jurrassicmonkey

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 4, '07
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

hey thanks guys i will take in account both. i just read about cold air intakes arent good for winter is that true, i'm in Minnesota and its been below zero. would a short ram be a better choice i dont wanna convert it every winter. plus i read about the rain and puddles causing problems.

post Feb 9, 2007 - 12:54 AM
+Quote Post
j0e_p3t

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '05
From torrance/carson, ca
Currently Offline

actually the colder the weather, the better. its only a problem if you drive around in serious floods when the filter is almost completely submerged in water. doesn't happen often but if you're still worried a bypass filter can fix that.

This post has been edited by j0e_p3t: Feb 9, 2007 - 12:59 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
post Feb 9, 2007 - 1:11 AM
+Quote Post
jurrassicmonkey

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 4, '07
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

hey joe,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93...1QQcmdZViewItem
so would this be a decent system to install. rather then gettin one for an accord like that "how to" said.
plus why doesnt every get a cai rather then sri . are short rams soo bad. cause to me it seems a little easier for me to install the short ram. and i am as newbie as you can get. so i might chicken out and do the short ram.
post Feb 9, 2007 - 1:16 AM
+Quote Post
LewFX

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 28, '05
From Redondo Beach, CA
Currently Offline

that probably is a accord version just hacked up to fir our celicas

--------------------
IPB Image
post Feb 9, 2007 - 1:29 AM
+Quote Post
j0e_p3t

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '05
From torrance/carson, ca
Currently Offline

just get the accord cai. its not as difficult to install as you think. and i heard the ebay cai for the celi places the filter behind the radiator plus the piping is right next to the engine which heats up the air. the accord cai places the filter by the fender right behind the front bumper opening so it sucks in fresh cold air.

edit: the accord cai also costs less. ebay

This post has been edited by j0e_p3t: Feb 9, 2007 - 1:34 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
post Feb 9, 2007 - 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
Negative

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 28, '04
From Houston, Texas
Currently Offline

QUOTE(jurrassicmonkey @ Feb 9, 2007 - 5:49 AM) [snapback]525304[/snapback]

hey thanks guys i will take in account both. i just read about cold air intakes arent good for winter is that true, i'm in Minnesota and its been below zero. would a short ram be a better choice i dont wanna convert it every winter. plus i read about the rain and puddles causing problems.

QUOTE(jurrassicmonkey @ Feb 9, 2007 - 6:11 AM) [snapback]525313[/snapback]

hey joe,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-91-92-93...1QQcmdZViewItem
so would this be a decent system to install. rather then gettin one for an accord like that "how to" said.
plus why doesnt every get a cai rather then sri . are short rams soo bad. cause to me it seems a little easier for me to install the short ram. and i am as newbie as you can get. so i might chicken out and do the short ram.

Both are good points. Just get the Acorn [LOL] stuff and make only a SRI out of it. After you start getting used to the Celica and modding it then you can use the remaining parts to come back and CAI if you choose. Cold air rocks for our car but rain and flood water sux. Even with rain you will be sucking a little water into your engine and in a flood sit your CAI instantly becomes a straw and you will hydrolock your engine. A tow truck driver did it to mine and I spent 2 hours in the cold and rain shooting water out of sparkplug holes and then having to change the oil immediately. Not fun - not cool. And guess what? That was on the stock CAI [yes your car is equipped with a very inefficient stock CAI - #1 reason why people report not getting huge gains in performance out of an intake wink.gif ]With a SRI or a CAI with a bypass you don't have these problems.
BTW - You just accidently opened a huge can of worms. Now that I posted this and Joe and Lew posted their opinions - there will be a undred people come on here and start debating whether or not this is a gain in performance, what the actual HP gains are and blah, blah blah. Don't listen to them - just SRI and you will feel a difference. Maybe not 15-20HP like intake manufacturers like to claim but you will feel a difference in performance. Check out my profile. I've made like 5 diff setups in my garage just playing around to find the best balance between looks and throttle response. I finally settled for this. Trust me - that's all you need.

--------------------
IPB Image
post Feb 9, 2007 - 7:49 PM
+Quote Post
jurrassicmonkey

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 4, '07
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

hey negative thanks. i found this on ebay is it what everyones talking about. is it too cheap for quality. well i will take ur advice and start with the sri
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-93-HONDA...33193QQtcZphoto

or is this a better buy.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-99-CELIC...44820QQtcZphoto

with the accord one it wasnt a K&N so maybe i should find one that is.
post Feb 9, 2007 - 11:37 PM
+Quote Post
DSToyo

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 16, '06
From Maryland
Currently Offline

^you could allways just get the filter sepratly like at autozone

-how well do these actually work, what i mean is, is there a difference between this and the $200 ones (injen,weaponr)
post Feb 13, 2007 - 9:21 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

I did the cold air intake on my 94 gt celica and was left confused?? I ordered the kit for the honda accord
it was aand installed it outside the inner fender so it can suck cold air.
The kit was a:
-3" diameter pipe (which I feel is too big and might have caused my problem)

-It really helped the motor rev up higher and pull harder the whole way through the rpm range.

-However, my throttle response on takeoff dropped considerably and I don't like it anymore and would like to change my setup. However, I am not sure what to do?

-My options are to
1. make some smaller diameter tubing (same as stock diameter) to run to the cold air intake

2. run a cone filter inside the engine bay (many people do this but you do not get the cold air flow)

3. So how do I get rid of my crappy throttle response and keep my stronger powerband ??????

Thanks...

P.s. who makes a cold air intake kit with smaller diameter tubing on e-bay they all seem to be 2.75" or bigger in diameter??????
post Feb 14, 2007 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
jcbass7

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 20, '06
From Florida
Currently Offline

If you want more throttle response then a short ram is the way to go. If you want a couple more ponies then thats where the cold air intake helps.

I settled for a short ram on my old GT and worked great. Sounded much better too

On my 3s. I am gonig to keep the short ram but im going to feed it cold air using ducting etc. i believe Dan (Jaws4God) did something like this.
post Mar 7, 2007 - 11:52 PM
+Quote Post
LeonStryfe

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 28, '06
From Brooklyn, New York
Currently Offline

its just an intake doesnt really make a difference... maybe just a little.

CAI gives u a lil more horse, good at higher speeds..

SRI since it is short, gives u more a response. Plus from my experience it feels good driving with SRI when on a cool day while the engine is still slightly cool. However you lose that benefit when it starts warming up. YOu gain it back anyway when you drive in the highway.

But other than that it makes your engine sound like an angry snake and when you rev, you're engines sounds meaner.

thats my two cents. Just get a KN filter and ur good
post Mar 8, 2007 - 12:14 AM
+Quote Post
pittfirefighter

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '06
From Greensburg,PA
Currently Offline

HAHA wow this is a debate, i had the chrome intake SRI that you had first found on my celica before i totaled it, it worked just fine, just make sure you get the one with the K&N filter, it sounds real badass, is cheap, and looks great, plus helleva easy to install, intake isn't going to make that much of a difference in a 4 cyl, and as stated, the SRI receives air from that nifty hole in the fender which gets cold air at the bottom of the bumper, chrome intake SRI = SWEET

--------------------
Breaking Axles...

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: September 4th, 2024 - 10:01 AM