+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Just out o curiosity, why no v6

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 27, 2014 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jul 27, 2014 - 3:40 PM) *
Just out o curiosity, why no v6

This has lower mileage and the wiring is already plug in and play.
I got it for a good price too.

I would love to do the V6 swap with FWD, but I've always wanted a 3s.
With the V6, I would have had to buy a custom PS engine mount, a flywheel, clutch, get a carrier bracket to work with the PS axle, all the seals and gaskets, hone the cylinders, replace the piston rings, deck the block and heads (250K on the engine), rod bearings, crank bearings, do all the wiring.... to still have no boost.
But really, it'd be a huge project with that engine because of the high mileage on it.

I just have to do a few minor things to this 3s and it'll drop right in.
3s PP and 5s disc for the clutch, exhaust, maybe a lightweight flywheel and adjustable cams? If I feel like it.
This just needs a basic tuneup and it's all set to go.

I drove my friend's wrx around for a bit and I've already got that boost addiction.....

post Jul 27, 2014 - 6:08 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Thats good reasoning.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 28, 2014 - 8:01 AM
+Quote Post
Fate

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 30, '04
From Atlantic City
Currently Offline

Congrats man, you'll love it

--------------------
post Jul 30, 2014 - 10:39 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Been slowly tearing the engine apart.
Decided to clean the fuel rail off....

post Jul 30, 2014 - 12:11 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Looks good. Try this while ur at it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=...ZUOofsgW9Yv1vjQ

You have to do it backwards on the 3s because we have side feed, but it worked great when I did it. If you decide to try it, remember we have low impedance injectors. You don't want to apply to much voltage to those. I can't remember exactly but I think I used a D cell battery to operate them without damage. Best bet would be to keep adding AA in series until the injector solenoid clicks

This post has been edited by enderswift: Jul 30, 2014 - 12:16 PM

--------------------
post Aug 13, 2014 - 2:43 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Just have to figure out what color I want to paint the intake and the throttle body...

post Aug 16, 2014 - 5:49 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

black wrinkles and gold.

I'll get some pictures up when I can reassemble everything.
post Aug 20, 2014 - 2:48 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Started pulling apart the wiring harness today to being the cleanup process...... I don't know who the f^ck did it, but someone put foam around a few sections of the harness and it melted to a hard plastic. Luckily I'm getting rid of one of the wires cause it was for the a/c idle up valve. The other wire should be fine cause it was for the o2 and had a protective coating around it.

Lesson number one, don't use foam on wiring harnesses. Period.
Lesson two, never just strip the coating off the small portion of a wire and wrap another one around it...

:facepalm:

Hopefully that's the worst thing I'll run into on the harness. Going to rewrap it, get get some new plugs and make it look really, really nice. No halfass bullsh.t here.
post Aug 22, 2014 - 10:01 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

--------------------

post Aug 22, 2014 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
JasonTX

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 1, '10
From TX
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Aug 20, 2014 - 2:48 PM) *
Started pulling apart the wiring harness today to being the cleanup process...... I don't know who the f^ck did it, but someone put foam around a few sections of the harness and it melted to a hard plastic. Luckily I'm getting rid of one of the wires cause it was for the a/c idle up valve. The other wire should be fine cause it was for the o2 and had a protective coating around it.

Lesson two, never just strip the coating off the small portion of a wire and wrap another one around it...

Hopefully that's the worst thing I'll run into on the harness. Going to rewrap it, get get some new plugs and make it look really, really nice. No halfass bullsh.t here.

thats really kinda odd i had a similar experience when i redid the harness on the gen3. After i unloomed the wires the ac ide up plug on the harness had a section of insulation stripped with some other wire wrapped around it. but they just slid the whole thing back in the tubing. no heat shrink or tape or even foam like you just bare wire exposed. I'm kinda curious what requires you to steal that signal?

--------------------
JN 3:16
--------------------------------------
post Aug 22, 2014 - 6:01 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JasonTX @ Aug 22, 2014 - 11:29 AM) *
QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Aug 20, 2014 - 2:48 PM) *

thats really kinda odd i had a similar experience when i redid the harness on the gen3. After i unloomed the wires the ac ide up plug on the harness had a section of insulation stripped with some other wire wrapped around it. but they just slid the whole thing back in the tubing. no heat shrink or tape or even foam like you just bare wire exposed. I'm kinda curious what requires you to steal that signal?

I believe that it's the power on wire for the a/c compressor, when you press the button in the car. So if you hack into that wire, the idle up valve will turn on at the same time. That's my logical explanation of it, but I could be wrong.

On another note, I have to spend about $75 on wiring clips alone and then whatever else it's going to cost to get nice heat shrink tubing for the rest of the harness. I want it to look good and last a long time. Thinking I'm going to invest in a wid band o2 sensor soon so that I can hardwire it into the harness...a long with a coolant temp gauge....and maybe I should hold off on finishing it cause I know I'll eventually want a meth setup for my car.

I really just want it as clean as possible.. kindasad.gif
post Aug 22, 2014 - 7:04 PM
+Quote Post
JasonTX

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 1, '10
From TX
Currently Offline

if you know the aprox area those things are going to be in just run the wire for those things in the loom and leave them without connectors so that when your get the one you want you can just crimp in the pins and put in the connectors for those systems without delooming your harness to add more wires

when i put mine together i went ahead and ran power to all 4 sides of the engine bay via the loom i also went ahead and left wires for the wideband and egt so their ready when i need em.

btw i dont know which connectors you need or even if gen2/3 use the same but i have a few extras from a second gen3 harness i bought. lmk if you need any of em.

-Jec

This post has been edited by JasonTX: Aug 22, 2014 - 7:09 PM

--------------------
JN 3:16
--------------------------------------
post Aug 23, 2014 - 4:31 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

That's not a bad idea at all with the wiring.

As far as the connectors, I'm just going to buy them new.

Also found out I need to buy a different ignitor cause Steph got me the better wire set and distributor cap from the MR2, which is a lot thicker of a gauge than the Celica All Trac ones. Why the difference? idfk.
It'll definitely help out in the long run though..
post Sep 28, 2014 - 12:16 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

So things will be on hold for a bit. Really tight on money so I probably won't start working on the engine again until November or December and I just don't have much time for it between school, work, and really pushing forward with nightlife photography (club events and stuff like that).
post Nov 7, 2014 - 6:33 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

I got something for you.

Updates tomorrow at noon. You'll never guess so dont try wink.gif

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 7, 2014 - 9:58 PM
post Nov 8, 2014 - 1:37 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

woot.gif I know what it is! haha

Still wanna know your plans with it though!

--------------------
post Nov 8, 2014 - 3:13 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

I think we now know.

It's a beauty.

--------------------
post Nov 8, 2014 - 4:01 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Well I didn't get around to updating this as soon as I wanted to, but uh. I picked up a 4th Gen Celica this morning.

However, it's not just any 4th Gen Celica, it's an 1988 All-Trac which was originally from North Carolina.

Picture proof so you can't say pics wink.gif and yes those are my st205 wheels on it for now.

Plans? Just to get it running cause the engine is "seized" as to what the owner said.
He semi rebuilt the bottom end because the PO before him cracked 3 ringlands so it had low compression across the board.
It was only 350 miles into the break in when it stopped running and the tires kind of locked up on him when he was turning into his apartment parking lot.
He never checked to see what was wrong with it or tried to diagnose it.

Well the seized engine turns over, gets air, spark, and fuel, but it's lacking something cause it catches but keeps dying.
Might be the battery because it's been sitting for over a month, but I'll keep updated as things go along.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 8, 2014 - 4:09 PM

32 Pages V  « < 29 30 31 32 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 31st, 2024 - 12:56 AM