> Black fiber glass vs carbon fiber
post Feb 14, 2011 - 7:37 PM
+Quote Post
Stu37363

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 30, '05
From Chattanooga, TN
Currently Offline

has anyone used this black fiberglass as a cosmetic replacement for carbon fiber?

My roommates quad has some damaged panels and we were considering just putting a layer of this down to repair them and make them look better.

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Black_Fi...berglass_Fabric

Here is an image, fiberglass on left, carbon fiber on right.

On a side note, neither of us have much experience doing this, is it possible to make the fiberglass more flexible by adjusting the mix of resin to hardener, or using a special resin?

Thanks
post Feb 15, 2011 - 3:46 PM
+Quote Post
BlackWidow

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 12, '10
From netherlands
Currently Offline

left and right are booth carbon fibre parts
Fiberglass is what they use for tuning bumpers etc. I have much experience whit this stuff and now i am playing with carbon fibre on my own car.

the easy, quickest and cheap way is using fiberglass
this is fiberglass

my email adress is racing_nightmare@hotmail.com if you have questions
post Feb 16, 2011 - 1:23 AM
+Quote Post
MaskedMan

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 29, '03
From 캘리포니아
Currently Offline

They are not both carbon fiber parts, they just look like it, which is the purpose black fiberglass. It's made out of different materials. The black fiberglass is made to resemble carbon fiber, but without the strength.

Anyways, with that said, if you're not making a structural piece, then black fiberglass will be fine. It will be almost the same as working with regular fiberglass except you have to be more careful in order to make the final product look good. If you're just doing it for the look, and don't have much experience working with this stuff, then I recommend you just use regular fiberglass to repair your panels first. Then you can add on some of that 3M adhesive Carbon fiber vinyl on top of the fiberglass. I'm thinking that will be the most inexpensive and easiest way to go about the repair.

There are different resins you can use, but the flexibility of the fiberglass has more to do with the cloth's thickness.

--------------------

post Feb 19, 2011 - 6:42 PM
+Quote Post
yellowchinaman

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 11, '08
From London
Currently Offline

masked man is correct.
You can only tell by looking up close and the touch.
Some companies now sell black twill fibreglass AS carbon fibre because it's cheap.
The difference is the quality. Black twill fibreglass when used as a composite is brittle just like normal FRP where as carbon fibre is more flexible as a single skin.

Stu I'd wouldnt use it for styling cos it won't last. It'll quickly dull out and crack like a bitch if you use it for external styling.
post Feb 20, 2011 - 12:50 AM
+Quote Post
Stu37363

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 30, '05
From Chattanooga, TN
Currently Offline

Thanks for the replies. The brittle cracking is the concern i had, especially since this stuff will more than likely hit a few trees.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: August 18th, 2024 - 4:23 PM